We are delighted, once again, to have Andrew Keane and the Great National Hotel on board as sponsor for our main winter league. The Great National Hotel Winter league will kick off on Monday 7th October. Get your entries in to take part by Saturday 22nd September. Friday 7th December 2018- mark the date in your diary now for finals night and Christmas Party in the Great National Hotel.
Some Brief guidelines for new members:
- All matches are the best of 5 sets. American rules apply and the first to win 11 points wins the set. If a set is tied 10 all, you must win by 2 points to win the set ie 12-10, 13-11 etc.
- Allow 5 minutes for warm up and warm up on each side of the court.
- Spin the racquet to decide who serves first. The winner of the spin decides which side of the court they wish to serve from.
- To serve, at least one foot must be in the red serving box, you must hit above the middle red line but below the upper red line at the front of the court, you must hit the back wall first (the ball can then hit a side wall after) and the ball must land in your opponents side of the court in the larger box area.
- For safety, if you are unable to hit a ball because you are at risk of hitting your opponent with the ball or your racquet, call a “let” and play that point again.
- You may take a maximum 2 minute break between sets.
- If you are more than 5 minutes late on court, your opponent can take a walkover.
- All players must wear NON-MARKING SOLED FOOTWEAR.
- The lights operate by the meter at €1 for 20 minutes.
To Figure out when you are to play:
- HoldMyCourt should have your individual fixture listed. If there are any mistakes on HoldMyCourt please contact Stephen O’Connor for amendments and use the following method:
- Find your name and take note of your team number, your line number and colour zone.
- Depending on your colour, look for your team number in the first weeks schedule of games. You will see what team you are playing and on which court. Look to see who is on your line in that team for your opponent.
- Each line has a time slot listed on the fixture sheet too.
- IF YOU CANNOT PLAY YOUR GAME AT THE ALLOCATED TIME, YOU MUST CONTACT YOUR OPPONENT TO RESCHEDULE BEFORE YOU ARE DUE TO PLAY. EACH PLAYER WILL BE EMAILED A CONTACT LIST AT THE START OF THE LEAGUE.
You must also free up the court for others to use and cancel your fixture on HoldMyCourt. Please see the following steps:
1. Go to the “hold my court” booking system as usual.2. Logon with username and password provided in the original League Email3. Select your match that you wish to cancel, select “delete this reservation”This system works on a TRUST basis, a member must ONLY delete their OWN match and no one else’s.
If a mistake is made then you must contact Stephen O’Connor so that the bookings can be corrected. Should you become injured or are unable to play for any other reason, please let me know asap as we have a number of substitutes who can fill in.
- THE WINNER MUST WRITE UP THE RESULT ON THE SCORE SHEET AFTER THE GAME. IF THERE IS NO SCORE WRITTEN UP, IT WILL EFFECT TEAM AND LINE PLACINGS.
The Winter League 2018 is kindly sponsored by The Great National Hotel, Ballina.
Full fixture list can be found here: https://www.ballinasquash.ie/league/the-great-national-winter-league-2018/winter-league-2018-fixtures/
Most of all, enjoy the league!